Thursday, February 10, 2011

Answer

I'm reluctant to write this post at all because although I received my news, I am still in limbo as to exactly what to do. In hindsight, I guess I built up this news so big that I didn't think about how I might feel after getting it.

They want to list me.

The exact words were something like "we think its an ok time to list for you". The call was very short, and wrapped in her words were careful tones and gentle breaks that were meant for someone who is getting what they don't want to hear. In her 4 or 5 sentences she even said "we know how you feel about this.. so take your time, talk to your family, talk to the docs at stmikes, if theres anything you want to do, take time and do it. this is not urgent for you'. My dad actually spoke to her as well, and was told that it is common for patients to take 2-3 months to digest the decision and come sign the papers. I am not alone in my hesitency.

That said, a few things go through my mind at this time. First is an irrational suprise. I, and my family, KNEW I was close, but didn't expect this answer probably mostly because in august not only was I "too healthy for the list", but I was too healthy for them to even investigate me. I was not allowed to assess. Clearly that result was a mistake that probably was directly related to one single persons choice, but it doesn't make it mess with your mind any less and I am still quite angry about my emotional rollercoaster so far (and I know this is the tip of a very large iceberg!). I am not much sicker now than I was in August.

Another thing I think about is that a part of me knows I can't do another winter without being listed. I'm not saying I can't "do another winter", just that I know that by next winter, I wont be comfortable. I dont know why I get that feeling, but I do.

Another thought that goes through my head is my sisters pregnancy. I only wish she was due sooner so that I could with confidence tell the transplant hospital that I will wait.. 2months and see my neice/nephew and let my sister get through her pregnancy relatively stress free, and then go for it. Unfortunately for all of us, there are still 5 whole months to wait.


All of these things I'm saying will no doubt inspire opinions in my readers, and please be kind if you plan to share them in the comments. Please, even if advising me (which I am very happy to receive, don't get me wrong). Please word things carefully. I'm in an emotional place. This decision is never easy. We know what the risks are, and they are not small. I may make a bad decision. At the same time, CF is so unpredictable, no choice is decidedly "right". I could list now and be in perfect shape for my surgery. I could list now and still die waiting for my call. I could list later, get more pre-tx time, and be smart because I end up dying during surgery. I could list later and it could be the reason for my death. There simply is no "right", only stats, and odds, and experience with which to work with.

For now, I've decided that step-by-step is all I can do. I've been waiting for this news to book regular clinic. I'm not sure why I felt it made sense to put off clinic until I got the news, but I did. I am going to get in there ASAP, and work on talking to them about anxiety and what I can do in this difficult phase. I am going to get them to elaborate for me what I didn't get to go into detail about on the phone. I am aware that in many ways I am a super-ideal candidate, especially now, but basically overall. My blood type is A+, I am cepacia negative, I have few exaccerbations and ivs, and I have no allergies, intolerances, or CFRD. The one factor I thought I would have against me was my size. I am short, but I learned during my "news" phone call that my lungs are not small at all. Apparently they are 5L. I find this hard to believe, but it works in my favour. This is oddly my concern. I think if I were expecting a longer wait (I was told by the coordinator I would not expect that most likely) it would be easier to list.

The excuses keep coming to me but I realize I am on the runway and I must take off while the window is open. Please think of me and hope that I can find a way to make the right decision.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle, glad to see that you vented all your thoughts here, you are a very intelligent young lady and whatever you decide, I know you will do the right thing at the right time. Don't let anyone or anything arm wrestle you one way or the other. We are there for you, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, It sounds like a lot to take in. What a blessing that you are not urgent and have some time to think things through. Your concerns are valid for sure...I've been thinking of the same ones myself and I haven't gone for the "eval" yet. It's easy to put it off. I applaud you for going forward to this point. It will all work out, just trust yourself to go at your own pace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your post on Run...Run. Your comments will benefit so many others. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the feeling that when you wrote 'word things carefully' you had me on your mind :) I certainly respect your need not to be lectured right now. So all I will say is good luck. You know how I feel, I don't need to say much here. I'm glad that at least you have an answer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete